Last week I was flipping through the September issue of ELLE Canada, you know with Daria on the cover, and found an interesting article inside detailing the ins and outs of the Chanel 2.55 reissue. What most girls don’t know is that the original Chanel bag did not have the double CC clasp. So while most girls go around carrying the double CC clasp because someone told them it was the classic Chanel bag, it’s actually not; it’s just the one that everybody has for lack of knowledge. Thanks to ELLE though, the people of Toronto will, from now on, never make an uneducated purchase when buying a Chanel bag.
Too lazy to read the article? Here are some fun facts:
- 2.55 stands for the date the first Chanel bag was born (Feb, 1955).
- the quilt pattern was modelled after Coco’s boyfriend’s hunting jackets.
- the 2.55 has 7 pockets, including a hidden pocket originally designed for keeping love letters in.
- Coco inspected every single bag that was made and reportedly, tossed one into the garbage because she sensed, solely by inspecting the purse, that the person who made the bag was unhappy.
- The original clasp was in fact not the CC but a rectangular clasp with three groves on it and Chanel engraved on the top
- The original chain did not have leather woven into it.
- The back pocket was inspired by Mona Lisa’s enigmatic smile.
- A few years ago, Lagerfeld reintroduced the original Chanel 2.55 and called it the “reissue” bag. You should buy it. I did.